We can help you to comply with engineering specs, industry standards, and utility regulations. Harmonic Analysis for both Low and Medium Voltage Systems.
Harmonic Analysis / Predictive Studies can consider multiple power sources and compliance with power quality standards.
Allied Industrial Marketing can analyze power quality problems and perform predictive studies such as power factor and harmonic distortion analysis. We can perform harmonic distortion analysis to the 100th harmonic (and beyond) based on your linear and non-linear loads and make recommendations that will help you to comply with international power quality standards such as IEEE-519, IEEE-1547, EN 61000-4-7, AS2279, BS G5/4, etc. Our reports follow the guidelines of IEEE-399.
Information required for Harmonic Analysis
In most cases, we can perform a complete harmonic analysis from our office, eliminating the cost of an on-site visit. Typically, we will need the following information:
- Single line diagram with ratings of power sources & major loads
- Explanation of your power quality problems or concerns
- Power quality measurement data if available
- Operating conditions to be considered
- State your power quality objectives
Following the guidelines of IEEE-399, we can perform a system analysis of single or multiple loads and provide you with a meaningful report complete with our explanation of the problem and recommended solution. Drawing from decades of experience and using computerized simulation software we are able to analyze disturbance sources, quantify the magnitudes of current and voltage at any point in a circuit and evaluate waveforms and harmonic spectra throughout a system. Our in-depth analysis can include waveform analysis, harmonic data, power factor, DC bus stability, motor voltage, resonance conditions, and more.
Comprehensive Harmonic Analysis Includes:
- Predictive analysis for harmonic distortion
- Thorough report with recommendations
- Determine compliance with power quality standards
- IEEE-519, IEEE 1547, BS G5/4, AS2279, EN 61000-4-7
- Power factor analysis if needed
- Technical recommendations to solve or prevent power quality problems
- Analysis and reports follow IEEE-399 Guidelines
We can perform harmonic distortion analysis to predict the distortion levels in your electrical system and to help you to comply with international power quality standards. Analysis includes comprehensive technical report illustrating key harmonic data as well as our recommendations to meet your PQ objectives.
Reasons for Performing Power Quality Analysis
- Benchmark of present power quality
- Evaluate compliance with Power Quality Standards or Specifications
- History of power quality problems
- – Failure of power factor capacitors
- – Overheating of transformers, motors, cables, etc.
- – Mis-operations of protection relays, over current devices or control devices
- Plant expansions where either significant non-linear loads or a significant amount of capacitance is added
- Design of a new facility or power system
- Identify potential PQ problems
- Unexplained equipment operation problem
- Evaluate the opportunity to reduce energy costs
These Services Normally Provided to:
- Industrial and Commercial Facilities
- Suppliers of Power Electronics Equipment
- Suppliers of Power Quality Equipment
- OEMs and System Integrators
- Architectural Engineering Firms
|Typical Sources of Harmonic Distortion
|AC Variable Frequency Drives||Battery Chargers|
|DC Adjustable Speed Drives||Welders|
|Switched-Mode Power Supplies||Frequency Changers|
|Grid-tied inverters||Arc Furnaces|
|Lighting Ballasts||Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS)|
|Rectifiers||Computers / Slot Machines|